REPORTS TO: Clinical Operations Manager
JOB SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for performing an extensive number of data-collection functions, as delegated by the physician, to allow for proper, professional diagnosis of patients’ conditions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, some college preferred.
- Zero-Two-years experience as an Ophthalmic Assistant.
- If required, valid proof of certification as an Ophthalmic Assistant.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ophthalmic Assistant skills as outlined by the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO).
- Empathetic personality giving attention to patient’s needs and concerns.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Computer literacy.
- Communication & Patient Care
- Interacts with all patients using the level of respect and professionalism required by this practice.
- Obtains patient history, to include chief complaint, history of present illness, past history (ocular and general), family history (ocular and general), and history of allergies and medications.
- Performs duties consistent with ophthalmic writer/scribe.
- Performs accurate and consistent documentation and measurement tasks to include:
- Visual acuity
- Confrontational visual fields
- Pupillary function
- Educate patients on medications, Pre- post op instructions.
- Applanation tonometry
- Humphrey Visual Field /OCT
- Assist with minor in office surgical procedures, and laser treatments.
- Angle assessment
- Corneal Topography
- Instrument Maintenance
- Troubleshoots instrument repairs as necessary.
- Replaces bulbs.
- Checks connections.
- Reports continued difficulty to Clinical Operations Manager.
- Determines which patient should be taken next from the waiting room to have testing initiated.
- Escorts patients from the waiting room for the data collection.
- Following testing, makes them comfortable during the wait.
- Maintains a smooth flow of patients to the physician, altering the test sequence as required.
- Escorts patients from the clinical area to the check-out station or optical dispensary, when necessary.
- Seeks advice from more senior staff as necessary, never performing beyond capabilities.
- Maintains stock levels and cleanliness of exam lanes.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Job Requirements
- Position requires a great deal of initiative and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Employee must maintain patient confidentiality.
- Given the level of training required in this position, the employee will be expected to work well independently.
|REQUIRED PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:|
|Lifting/Carrying||up to 30 lbs|
This position description is not intended to detail every aspect of your position or list every task you may perform. It is provided as a general overview of the duties and responsibilities and skills required to perform successfully in this position.