Join Ophthalmology Associates & LASIK Center’s team as an Optician. This is a full-time position of 32-40 hours per week. This individual helps order, fit, repair and adjust eyeglasses following prescriptions from the Ophthalmologists.
Ophthalmology Associates’ has a culture focused on smarts, kindness, continual learning… and our people love it! With over 55 years of experience, our team has grown and molded itself into what it is today. We build genuine and authentic connections with every patient, either for one day or sometimes for a lifetime. We allow each and every employee to bring fresh new ideas to the table. All of this to improve the overall experience of the patient.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years optician experience.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service and sales skills required.
- Strong organization with attention to detail.
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute lens diopter power.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensures that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Educates patients on their corrective lens options and helps them make a choice that fits their medical needs as well as lifestyle preferences.
- Communicates with physician with questions or concerns about prescriptions and other eye-related issues.
- Measures clients’ bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Verifies that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Prepares work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Maintains records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Performs administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Schedules patients for contact lens appointments.
- Recommends specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit clients’ needs.
- Sells goods such as contact lenses, eyewear, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Heats, shapes, or bends plastic or metal frames in order to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Determines clients’ current eyeglass prescriptions, when necessary, using a lensometer.
- Instructs clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Repairs damaged frames.
- Arranges, cleans and maintains displays of optical merchandise.
- Completes additional office tasks regularly, such as preparing paperwork for patient insurance, payments, end of month statements, ordering inventory and tracking orders in the system.
- Must be able to move frequently from standing to sitting.
- Ability to read fine print.
- Ability to manipulate small objects.
- Ongoing training.
- Promote from within.
- Learn the power of presence.
- Develop initial skills for leadership.
Our Awesome Benefits:
- 401k plan, Dental, Health, Life/AD&D, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability coverage.
- Employee Assistance Program with Travel Assist, voluntary accident and additional life plans.
- Uniform reimbursement and glasses coverage.
- Two weeks PTO the first year.
- Employee lunches and an employee committee for outings and events!
Our Hiring Process:
- You find or get sent this advertisement.
- You read the ad.
- It piques your interest.
- You tell us you are interested (apply, email, shout, call).
- You meet the team in-person.
- You tell everyone how amazing your life has become!
Share this! Don’t be afraid of friends or co-workers stealing this role. We have multiple openings. If you are amazing and smart, we need you!