Join Ophthalmology Associates & LASIK Center’s team as a Medical Biller/Medical Receptionist. This position is full-time with approximately 32-40 hours per week and will require occasional daytime travel to satellite locations. This individual is responsible for accurately billing patients and insurance carriers and provides back-up assistance with answering phone calls.
Ophthalmology Associates & LASIK Center’s has a culture focused on smarts, kindness, continual learning… and our people love it! With over 55 years of experience, our team has grown and molded itself into what it is today. We build genuine and authentic connections with every patient, either for one day or sometimes for a lifetime. We allow each employee to bring fresh new ideas to the table. All of this to improve the overall experience of the patient.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic typing, English, and mathematical skills
- Medical experience/billing highly preferred
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Management of multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a positive team member
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Respectful treatment of patients and co-workers
- Understanding of Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations, CPT codes, and ICD-10 Coding
- Understanding of commercial/private insurance carriers’ medical policies and guidelines
- Accurate data entry
- Computer literacy
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs basic functions of billing.
- Focuses on prior authorizations from insurances for surgeries, injections, procedures, testing and exams.
- Tracks insurance referrals for upcoming appointments.
- Checks insurance eligibility for upcoming appointments.
- Reviews all patient medical records to verify that correct procedure code is being billed and correct diagnosis is being used.
- Reviews specific coding books and insurance carrier medical policies before attaching diagnosis codes to charges.
- Reviews fee tickets to verify that patient is correctly scheduled for follow-up care.
- Adds appropriate modifier to charges.
- Bills out-of-town patient appointments.
- Adds patient recall to patient chart.
- Verifies that the correct insurance is attached to charges.
- Long term: back up for insurance posting.
- Applies patient copays to patient account.
- Assists with totaling charges at end of day and verifying they balance with computer system.
- Assists with balancing patient payments at end of day.
- Completes deposit slip for bank if needed.
- Answers overflow incoming phone calls from the front desk.
- Assists patients when calling with billing questions.
- Scans occasional documents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Answer phones and properly direct patients.
- Accurately schedule appointments, register patients, and enter all required data in computer.
- Prepare and scan forms.
- Develop a knowledge of billing and insurances and verify coverages.
- Work with staff and providers to ensure a professional and happy patient experience.
- Travel to satellite locations to assist technicians and providers in providing outreach services.
- Ongoing training
- Promote from within
- Learn the power of presence
- Develop initial skills for leadership
- Eight paid holidays
- PTO available following 90 day probation period
- Uniform reimbursement and glasses coverage
- Employee lunches and an employee committee for outings and events
Our Hiring Process:
1. You find or get sent this advertisement
2. You read the ad
3. It piques your interest
4. You tell us you are interested (apply, email, shout, call)
5. You meet the team in-person
6. You tell everyone how amazing your life has become!
Don’t be afraid to apply. If you are amazing and smart, we need you!