DEPARTMENT: Business Office
REPORTS TO: Billing Lead
JOB SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for billing, follow-up and collection of all insurance claims; maintaining correspondence with carriers, and documentation regarding same; working with supervisor of the billing department to review problem accounts and identify necessary action to be taken.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years minimum experience in medical office; two years billing and collections experience required.
- Certified Ophthalmic Coding designation desired.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent follow-up skills.
- Management of multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Primary Responsibilities
- Is responsible for full billing processes on all patients.
- Processes and mails bills on a daily basis.
- Generates monthly A/R report for all accounts in coordination with Billing Lead.
- Calls those accounts which are past due.
- Establishes possible payment plans if appropriate and agreeable with Administrator/Office Manager.
- Works A/R weekly to discuss problem accounts and plans with the Billing Supervisor for upcoming week.
- Monitors daily appointment schedules to become aware of scheduled patients with open balances exceeding 90 days; calls patients prior to their arrival.
- Discusses accounts with patients and provides whatever information is required by insurance companies in order to get claim paid.
- Reviews the accounts Aging Analysis Report monthly to determine the accounts requiring immediate attention (60 days and over $100 balance are priority). This would be completed in coordination with the Billing Lead.
- Take part in chart audits
- Attend training to further education
- Also would be expected to handle preauthorization’s and precertification’s
- Time not spent billing would then be handling collections on accounts (50% of time)
- Consistently looking for process improvements
- Other duties as assigned